RE: [Xen-Users] How to clone a VM when it is running?

  • From: Robert Wicks <rwicks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:35:59 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc: Xen-Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:37:58 -0700

FWIW, I have taken an LVM snapshot of a running Windows VM, done a dd out to a file on an NFS mount point of the snapshot, and restored the resulting file inside an empty, but identically sized VM on another Xenserver host without any issues. The Windows box basically reacts like you just cut power.  A checkdisk is the worst which has happened, and I always have something I can use in the output file. I wish there were a way to generate an XVA file from this output so that I could just import the snapshotted backup as a normal Xen image.

Robert A. Wicks

ITC Engineer

desk: (404) 888-2428

mobile: (404) 606-4622