RE: [Xen-users] cloning guests between Dom0's ?

  • To: Arnar Þórarinsson <art@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ferreira, N.L." <N.L.Ferreira@xxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:45:22 +0100
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 04:46:05 -0700

Hi Arnar

Of course its possible, and there are several options.
So your guest is on a partition. A physical partition or a LVM LV?

For a LVM LV you can do the following (using the LVM snapshot) without shutting down the domU:

lvcreate -s /dev/vg/domU -L1G -n domU_snap
mkdir /mnt/domU_snap
mount /dev/vg/domU_snap /mnt/domU_snap
tar cvjpf /storage/path/domU_snapshot.tbz /mnt/domU_snap
lvremove /dev/vg/domU_snap

For a physical partition, you should shutdown the domU first (probably pausing is also ok).
In this case, you can use the dd command for the backup (check the archives).
virt-clone is also an option.

Cheers,
N.