AW: [Xen-users] compiling Xen 3.3.1 on Lenny

I think by this you will not be able to compile hvm support. When I remember
right, you need bcc and bin86 installed and it's not part of build-essential.
But I might be wrong...check whether hvmloader is built.

BR,
Carsten.

You wrote:

Hi

Thanks very much for your help.

In fact, I wanted to compile myself to better understand xen and also
because I will ultimately want to build a custom kernel with xen.

I also think it could benefit to other users if installation
instructions were consolidated in the different places where they
appear. For example, the README of the latest 3.3.1 tarball suggest ,
that you call

make world KERNELS="linux-2.6-xen0 linux-2.6-xenU"

however the Installation
instructions on the web reads as follows:

... Many
users will be better off using the "-xen" kernel instead of "-xen0" and
"-xenU" kernels. ....

In fact, the usage of the make world command is not suggested !

I did the following to successfully install xen 3.3.1 on debian lenny.
This is adapted from
thoandswelt.blogspot.com/2008/10/xen-33-installation-auf-debian-etch.html
( in german ) and maybe it would be useful for people new to xen to
have something clear and straigthforward on the xen website ( maybe its
already there but I missed it ... )

(my) Installation Instructions for xen 3.3.1  on a pristine debian
lenny 5.0.0  ( please notify if this is incorrect ) :

aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade

aptitude install build-essential mercurial gawk libx11-dev libssl-dev
zlib1g-dev gettext ncurses-dev python-dev iproute
bridge-utils texinfo pciutils-dev

wget
http://bits.xensource.com/oss-xen/release/3.3.1/xen-3.3.1.tar.gz

tar xvzpf xen-3.3.1.tar.gz

cd xen-3.3.1

make world && make dist

./install.sh

aptitude install linux-image-xen-686
add this to /boot/grub/menu.lst

  title Debian GNU/Linux,
kernel vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-xen-686

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/xen-3.3.1.gz

module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-xen-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro

module /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-xen-686

savedefault