RE: [Xen-users] Strange network issue; Guest/DomU outgoing traffic

I guess you mean you do "arp -d x.x.x.x", and then "ping x.x.x.x", or "arping
x.x.x.x" where x.x.x.x is configured as your default gateway? That should
definitely cause an ARP request to go out. You do not have any weird
arpd/kernel configuration enabled?

Also, you do not have any weird network setup within your DomU? Like a bridge,
VLAN bonding, or IP forwarding, or IP aliases, or whatever else?

And, you only have a single interface assigned (and configured!) per virtual
machine? And you have /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/arp_filter set to 0?

> the packet counters still
> would not
> increment (and I didn't see any outgoing arp packets)   the syntax was
> right,
> as I try it after reboot (rebooting the DomU not the Dom0)  and I see
> arp
> packets as I would expect.
>
> when this is happening I ususally leave an inbound ping going from
> another
> host.  I see the packets heading in, nothing (not even an arp who-has)
> going out.

I guess you capture at the interface level with tcpdump, but for incoming
packets it could also be that they are not received on the higher level, e.g.
if you have packet filtering enabled or something similar. I guess you are not
running a firewall or something?

> > Do your interface counters / netstat values show any TX errors at
> all?
>
> None.

Then this would be a failure somewhere in the IP stack, or possibly in the ARP
kernel code... If you are sure that you have not misconfigured anything, then I
would probably go for a kernel upgrade...