Re: [Xen-users] Cluster (VPC), Eucalyptus and preferred distribution to it.

  • From: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:04:21 +0800
  • Cc: Xen-user List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 00:05:00 -0700

Luke S Crawford wrote:
> Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Some of the reasons: CentOS is just plain stupid, rpm and yum are plain
>> buggy, upgrades are a real pain, yum is so slow and memory eating,
>
> rpm is, yes, suboptimal.
>
> the advantage of CentOS is twofold.
>
> 1. you can get a lot of money SysAdmining RHEL boxes for big dumb companies
> that feel they need to pay for things.    the other side of that coin is
> that there are a lot of SysAdmins familiar with the RedHat way of doing
> things.
>
> 2. RHEL actually does a pretty good job testing things, and keeping things
> stable and compatable within a release.   You are pretty safe running
> 'yum update'  and rebooting.   With many other distros, well, often an
> upgrade actually changes things.

Let's not mixup CentOS and RHEL. There's a BIG BIG difference in
quality, updates, etc.

As for the "SysAdmins familiar with the RedHat way", well, there is also
a lot of people familiar with windows and ... [complete yourself here].
I don't think this is a good technical argument.

Thomas