[Xen-users] the infamous Error: Device 768 (vbd) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working

I am trying various config files to get some kind of guest start and they all seem to get stuck with the error,

Error: Device 768 (vbd) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.

xen is 3.3.1 and Dom0 is 2.6.29.

Here's an example of one such config that reproduces this error.

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder = 'hvm'
device_model = '/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
disk = ['phy:/dev/vdisk/h,hda,w','tap:aio:/mnt/g/gentoo.iso,hdc:cdrom,r']
vfb = [ 'type=vnc,vnclisten=0.0.0.0,vncunused=1' ]
memory = 1024

I can launch a VNC viewer but see only a blank screen which lasts for a moment or so before the guest gets destroyed.

The logs don't seem to say anything relevant. There is no hot scripts log that I've seen mentioned elsewhere. The dom0 uses udev and there are no rules except for the local network rules.
--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@xxxxxxxxxxxx