Re: [Xen-users] CentOS guest install not using DVD

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Neil Aggarwal <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am trying to set up a CentOS 5.3 domU.
>
> I ran virt-install and told it to use /dev/dvd
> as the installation location.
>
> When the installer came up, it asked me for
> the installation source.  I tried to select
> Local CDROM but that did not work.  I had
> to do a network install.
>
> Is there a way to tell it to use the DVD
> for the installation files?

A general suggestion, before bombarding a mailing list with questions,
 it would probably help if you actually read the documentation first.
For Xen on Centos it would be

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Virtualization-en-US/
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingCentOSDomU

When installing Linux PV DomU you can't use DVD directly, but you can
use it to setup network install server (start from
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/s1-steps-network-installs-x86.html
).

HVM domU (and also opensolaris PV domU) can use DVD/iso as installation media.

One way to have GUI on a headless server is with VNC, see
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server

Regards,

Fajar