[Xen-users] Xen benchmark

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Christiaan Ottow <chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 21:27:16 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 12:27:55 -0700

Hi all,

I've performed a benchmark on my server to compare performance with and without Xen, and with and without domUs active. I used lmbench to measure basic hardware operations on math and memory, and system calls like mmap(), fork(), exec().

The results are at http://drainbamage.nl/2009/04/05/xen-benchmark/ . It seems that Xen adds significant overhead to process creation routines (fork, exec) and mmap and page faults.

However, I'm no OS expert, and I'd like your guys' feedback on the numbers and my interpretations of them. Does Xen really add these latencies (or is my setup messy), and what is their impact in real life?

Best regards,

Christiaan Ottow