Re: [Xen-users] Guest says: no space left on device; but thats not true

  • To: Olaf Krause <krause@xxxxxxx>
  • From: Jeff Lane <sundowner225@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 09:32:36 -0400
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 06:33:22 -0700

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 6:22 AM, Olaf Krause <krause@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> running a Gentoo host and several guests (Xen 3.3.0, Gentoo
> linux-2.6.18-xen-r12) there are some disk space spooks.

Another thought...

How many DomUs do you have on your host filesystem?  What are their
sizes?  And more importantly, are you using sparse files for all the
DomU images??

If you have, say 20GB of storage for DomUs and you have 5 domUs using
sparse file images of 5GB each, you will run out of space, even though
the guest thinks it still has plenty left...

I've run into issues like this before on test systems when
over-committing disk space with sparse files.

Also, what does the full disk image look like for each guest?  Do
those numbers take into account swap partitions created by the DomU
installation?  That can be another problem...

Anyway, just a couple other thoughts on the problem...

Cheers
Jeff