Re: [Xen-users] Xen noob question, ttylinux, Jailtime, etc

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson wrote:
  So, I'm experimenting with setting up templated DomUs using Xen, and I wanted
to try out
some of the Jailtime.org images, so I grabbed an Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 32-bit image.

  It supplies an image and a config file (which I tweaked for the location of
the .img):

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1049624576 2008-07-16 22:39
/etc/xen/images/ubuntu.8-04.64.img

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen"
memory = "256"
name = "ubuntu.8-04"
vif = ['']
dhcp = "dhcp"
disk = ['file:/etc/xen/images/ubuntu.8-04.64.img,sda1,w']
root = "/dev/sda1 ro"

  When I try to boot it:

 xm create /etc/xen/configs/ubuntu.8-04.64.xen3.cfg -c
Using config file "/etc/xen/configs/ubuntu.8-04.64.xen3.cfg".
Error: Kernel image does not exist: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen

  Ok, so this comes down to an issue I don't quite understand -- the
bootstrapping the
DomU guest kernel. Here the config says it's /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen

  Well, if I mount the image and look into it, there's nothing in /boot at all.

  Is this referring to a kernel in my Dom0's /boot? This wouldn't seem to make
sense, as
you might have dozens of different DomUs of different varieties and versions of
Linux, and
they could fight with each other in the Dom0's /boot namespace.

It is looking for Dom0's /boot dir and thus kernel image. You don't have to use it, but that's what it is looking for presently. also it is better to use "tap:aio:" instead of "file:" - cant remember why but google is your friend.
  So, what namespace exactly is the kernel line referring to, and why isn't the
jailtime
image happy about it?

  I ran into the same issue trying to use the ttylinux image from here:
http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2009/02/19/launch-domu-from-pre-built-image/

  What should the kernel line read? Obviously "/boot/..." is a stand-in, but
for what?

  Thanks in advance. I'm just missing this critical nugget of understanding.