[Xen-users] hdparm/sdparm/smartctl from the DomU

Does anyone know of a way to successfully run an "hdparm -i" on a SATA
device under a DomU? I've exposed the device using the block-device phy
mapping but hdparm/sdparm/smartctl can seem to access the disk at a low
enough level to poll the drive. Basically need to pull the S/N off the
drive, but haven't yet been able to achieve this under a DomU. Works
fine on the Dom0 of course. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2 things I should mention...
1) The dom0 is installed on a Linux MD RAID1 array consisting of
/dev/sda and /dev/sdb
2) When booting the DomU I get the following...
* Letting udev process events ...scsi_id[2010]: scsi_id: unable to
access parent device of '/block/sdb'
scsi_id[2012]: scsi_id: unable to access parent device of '/block/sda'
scsi_id[2043]: scsi_id: unable to access parent device of '/block/sdb'
scsi_id[2044]: scsi_id: unable to access parent device of '/block/sda'