Re: [Xen-users] Re: cLVM on Debian/Lenny

  • To: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 21:25:07 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 07:25:45 -0700

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Jan Kalcic <jandot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But this does not make sense to me. Where are the pros of using LVM for
> my VMs if they eventually reside as file on a (cluster) file system?  I
> loose all the features I want from LVM (snapshot and resizing).
>
> I think of a cluster where the VMs are using a physical block device
> (shared) based on LVM which provides me the LVM features as above and
> manage access to the volume it self.
>
> Does it make sense or I am completely "out"?

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. You still need a separate
locking mechanism if you want to prevent a domU backend (be it LVM or
file) from being used by two or more dom0 at the same time.

Cluster file system (like GFS) can create a shared filesystem that can
be mounted on two or more nodes at the same time, but it does NOT
prevent you from (lets say) having a file-backed vm, located on GFS,
that is used by two (or more) dom0 to as domU backend. End result:
domU corruption.