Re: [Xen-users] Problem with Xen bridge on Debian Lenny

Bonjour Antoine,

Antoine Benkemoun wrote:
Now the killer problem... When I boot into Xen everything works fine except... the networking. The interface that was recognized as eth0 when I was with Debian (no Xen) now become eth1 for some unknown reason. The line responsible for this is the following :

/tpxen kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1/

I guess that xend does reconfigure your network during the boot sequence and the new interface might be detected as different. You can probably deal with this in:
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

So in Xen I have eth1. I enabled /(network-script network-bridge) /as well as /(vif-script vif-bridge)/. No bridge appears and no vif interfaces, no nothing except eth1 and lo.

I personnaly prefer not to change anything in xend-config.sxw in order to ease future dist-upgrade.

Actually, there is -- in my knowledges -- at least two ways to get the domUs bridged to the dom0 interface with Debian. The one you describe (which I faced many times problems with) is one of them. Another one is to let xend-config as is it (aka /(network-script network-dummy)/ and /(vif-script vif-bridge)/) and to configure the bridges at the network level. Here is my /etc/network/interface:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto xenbr0
iface xenbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.98.96
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.98.0
        gateway 192.168.98.1
        bridge_ports eth0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_maxwait 0
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
        dns-nameservers 192.168.97.3 192.168.97.9
        dns-search my-domain.tld

When you boot your dom0, it will have xenbr0 instead of eth0. DomUs will work as usual and the "eth0" of each domU will be bridged to xenbr0. This is *IMO* the best way to configure Xen in bridge-mode on Debian.

HTH

Regards,
--
Olivier Le Cam