Re: [Xen-users] Console type switch

  • To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 11:30:11 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 21:30:52 -0700

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 1:09 AM, Roy <onion@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have an Xen image that was built for a graphical console (VNC).  Is there
> any way to change it to the non-graphical console (xen console)?
> Roy

Is it PV or HVM guest?
For HVM guest, you need to enable serial port on domU config file
(example here: http://pastebin.com/fb6fe631), and setup domU to use
serial port (ttyS0 on Linux) by modifying (for Linux domU)
/boot/grub/menu.lst, /etc/inittab, and /etc/securetty.

If it's PV guest, you need to set up domU to use xen console (which is
xvc0 on current xen version, hvc0 on pv_ops kernel). It's similar to
setting up domU for serial console, you just need to change ttyS0 to
hvc0. An example of domU setup that can use both xvc0 and vnc console
is here : http://pastebin.com/f6a5022bf

Regards,

Fajar