[Xen-users] Multiple guests on a bonded interface

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Wead, Adam G" <awead@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:55:27 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 09:56:18 -0700

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get multiple guests to connect their networks to the Xen network bridge xenbr0 that’s tied to two bonded interfaces.  My current dom0 network looks like this:

(eth0 + eth1) => bond0 -> pbond0 -> xenbr0

eth0 and eth1 are bonding under Red Hat EL5, and Xen is configured to use bond0 as the main network device.  Xend-config is set to use the network-bridge script with netdev=bond0.

The problem I'm having is that I can't run more than one guest on xenbr0.  Right now, I have one guest attached to xenbr0 and it works fine.  If I yank out either cable on eth0 or eth1, it keeps going.  If I startup any other guests, there is intermittent network problems and strange ssh connection failures.  For example, one ssh client won't connect while another one can.

If I create another bridge from a single NIC via the same network-bridge script, like:

eth2 -> peth2 -> xenbr2

Multiple guests can connect fine using xenbr2.

I tried using the network-bridge-bonding script with bond0, but while it created pbond0, it never created the xenbr0 bridge for the guests to connect.

Either I need to use the bonding script with additional parameters or steps to get the xenbr0 up, or there's something wrong with the present setup.

Ideas, anyone?

Many thanks in advance,

...adam