Re: [Xen-users] "Cannot find root device" while initializing dom0

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 16:24 -0300, Paolo Victor wrote:

> "Gave up waiting for root device. ALERT! /dev/by-uuid/xxxx does not
> exist"
>
> And boots the recovery shell. I've tried both compiling Xen and Dom0
> from source (Xen 3.3.1, kernel 2.16.18.8-xen) and using Ubuntu's
> packages (Xen 3.3, kernel 2.6.24-32-xen), with no luck. Native Ubuntu
> 8.10 boots normally, though, and the menu.lst's device UUIDs are
> correct.

This sounds very much like the problem I reported with a certain FoxConn
Motherboard, in which Xen only recognises onboard SATA when when I
reconfigured the BIOS to run in RAID mode, rather than the default IDE
mode.

> At the recovery shell, I can see that none of the /dev/sd* devices
> aren't listed, as expected, but the some drivers were loaded,
> according to the /proc/modules file:
>
> -libata
> -pata_api
> -pata_it8213
> -ata_generic

What I also tried was making sure that all the required SATA modules
were compiled into the kernel rather than as modules. This did not work,
either, until I tried the BIOS fix mentioned above as a matter of
desperation.

> What do you think about this? Have any of you ever come across such
> problem? I'm thinking about trying a clean install on an IDE drive,
> but that would really be the last resort.

Well, I had Xen on an IDE drive in the same computer and although the
host OS could see (and boot from) the SATA drives, as soon as I booted
xen 3.3.1 no SATA drives, until I changed the BIOS.

See
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2009-04/msg00578.html
for my other post with this problem.

--