Re: [Xen-users] How do I resize a Physical Partition in a Dom U that's "on" a Logical Volume in the Dom 0?

  • To: Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Bob Linkonij <boblnknj0@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 11:12:47 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 01 May 2009 12:38:36 -0700

Hey Simon,

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> lvextend -L +4G /dev/VG01 guest_root
>>
>> Can I do that "hot" without shutting down the Dom U first?  Or do I
>> need to shut it down THEN do the lvextend?
>
> You can do that 'hot'

Great.  That makes things easier & faster.

> I'm not clear here - did you partition /dev/xvdc and create a filesystem on
> /dev/xvdc1, or did you create a filesystem on /dev/xvdc ?

I'm pretty foggy about the xvdc vs xvdc1 name differences but if I
understand what you're asking I did the first type.  I'm not even sure
how I'd do the latter, or if I should.  Any thoughts on that?

Anyway I used Suse SLED v10's auto-installation stuff to do it. The
part of the script for the xvdc device was

<partitioning config:type="list"><drive>
<device>/dev/xvdc</device>
<initialize config:type="boolean">false</initialize>
<partitions config:type="list"><partition>
 <create config:type="boolean">false</create>
 <filesystem config:type="symbol">ext3</filesystem>
 <format config:type="boolean">true</format>
 <label>GUESTROOT</label>
 <mount>/</mount>
 <partition_id config:type="integer">131</partition_id>
 <partition_nr config:type="integer">1</partition_nr>
 <partition_type>primary</partition_type>
 <size>max</size>
</partition></partitions>
<type config:type="symbol">CT_DISK</type>
<use>all</use>
</drive></partitioning>

> If you create a filesystem on the disk device rather than partitioning it,
> then you can shutdown the guest, use resize2fs to enlarge the filesystem in
> it, and startup the guest.
>
> If you created a partition, then you will need to deal with that. I think
> there was a discussion a while back on mounting partitions from a partition.
> You'll need to enlarge the partition to fill the disk, and then you can
> resize the filesystem in it. Other than doing it from within the guest I
> don't know how to do that. Once you shutdown and then start up (NOT reboot)
> the guest, it will see the new logical volume as a bigger disk - I don't
> know if there is any way to make this happen 'live'.

So it sounds like the 1st one is simpler.  And can be done live or hot.

Maybe I should just redo the whole thing to use the "create a
filesystem on /dev/xvdc" way.

Any pointers on that one?  I've tried to follow some of those
discussions, and just get lost.  It seems like each message answers a
question someone's not asking.  Maybe I didn't find the right list
yet, but so far it's all pretty confusing to me.

I found the Xen wiki site.  But I couldn't find any stuff about which
way is the right or best approach, or especially how to do it.

> You're not alone !

I guess that's a good thing :-)

Thanks a bunch.

Bob