Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 10.3 - Xen 3.1.0 - VIF for DomU not recording transmitted bits correctly

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 13:11:17 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 03 May 2009 23:11:55 -0700

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Joseph King <joking@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Excellent reply. I would never have come to that conclusion and indeed
> I am using an HVM guest in this instance. Thank you very much.
>
> I have one remaining problem, I can name the vif interface, how do I
> name or otherwise associate the tap interface with my guest?

I don't know about that one, sorry.
One alternative is to use Xen 3.3.1, where taps are named using their
domain id (like tap163.0).

However since the emulated NIC (the tap one) has very limited
performance anyway, why not use PV drivers?
That would mean traffic will go through your "rudy" interface, while
boosting network performance at the same. Redhat has PV drivers
included by default on RHEL5.3. You might be able to find drivers for
opensuse by searching for packages that contain "xen-vnif.ko" or
"xen-vbd.ko".

Or better yet, if you're not using any HVM-specific feature (like
propietary binary-only driver), why not convert it to PV? That would
give domU maximum performance.

Regards,

Fajar