From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Fajar A. Nugraha
Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2009 22:17
To: Jonathan Anderson
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] dom0_mem still needed?

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 2:54 AM, Jonathan Anderson
<jonathan.b.andersonr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
> I was running Xen 3.0.3-1 from Debian Etch before and needed the dom0_mem=
> parameter to get my systems to boot.
> I have a new system running Lenny and Xen 3.2-1.  I didn't specify the
> dom0_mem= parameter in my grub config.
> Did I just get lucky with it booting, or is this likely to cause me
problems
> down the line?

It's not mandatory to have that parameter, but it's considered best
practice. When ommitted, dom0 will use all available memory and
ballon-down as needed when domUs are started. Depending on what you
have running on dom0, ballooning down MIGHT cause a problem.

So if you know (for example) that you have 4G memory, 512M will be
allocated to dom0 while the reset will be used for domUs, you should
set something like

kernel /xen.gz-3.3.1 dom0_mem=512M

on grub.conf, and have this entry on /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp

(dom0-min-mem 512)

These will effectively prevents dom0 from ballooning down memory.

Regards,

Fajar