[Xen-users] To use DOM0 or not to use DOM0

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Edward Macnaghten" <emacnaghten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 11:25:05 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 06 May 2009 03:25:57 -0700

Hi

I have a question regarding the bext way of setting up CIFS forwarding....

The situation is I have a Xen server, and all guests running RedHat linux.

DOM-0 is a (company) public IP address (10.x.x.x), and has an "internal" address of 192.168.a.a for DOM-Us, and ipvsadmin set up to forward services on specific ports to them.

I have a number of DOM-Us behind it with a privalte adress (192.168.x.x) that run these services, and people in the company can run these and are very happy with the exception they cannot read the logs.

As a temporary measure, for them to get to the logs, I have started NFS on the DomU, and put the log directories in /etc/exports as read only.  I hace then created a user on Dom0, started autofs there and put symbolic links from the new user to /net/DOMU/logdir directories.  This works but the company would be a lot happier if there was CIFS shares...

This is not a problem, but the question I have is this the correct thing to do.  DOM-0 is getting messy for my liking.  Is it better to place all this in DOM-0 or to create another DOM-U guest to do this forwarding?  Or maybe even to alter the services so the logs are written through NFS to a directory on this new guest?

In short - Is it OK to clog up Dom0 with stuff that is nothing to do with managing guests, or is it better to create another DomU guest to do that?

Yours

Eddy