Re: [Xen-users] Problem with GPLPV drivers for server 2008

  • To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 22:12:51 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 15 May 2009 08:13:31 -0700

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Derek Danks <derek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > I added the option to the boot
>> > loader using bcdedit as per the instructions here
>> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv/Installing.
>>
>> Unfortunately that page is somewhat outdated :P
>> For one, the drivers are activated by default (without the need for
>> any switch), but you can add NOGPLPV to deactivate it.
>
> Are there any newer instructions available?

No centralized place so far. The biggest difference has been the NOGPLPV switch.

For Windows 2008 x64 domU I had to do this workaround:
- after installting the driver, DO NOT REBOOT YET
- run bcdedit to add NOGPLV entry
- reboot WITH NOGPLPV, choosing disable driver signature enforcement
- reboot again using standard option (don't select NOGPLPV) and
choosing disable driver signature enforcement. It will say "new disk
installed" (or something like that).
- reboot again, choosing disable driver signature enforcement.
- setup ip address for xen net

However some people said they've successfully install it the normal
way without any workarounds, YMMV.

> I had 2 disks originally these are still the only ones shown in "computer".
> In device manager I do have 2 nic's, the Xen one and a Realtek one which has a
> warning triangle in the icon.

That looks normal.

> I have added an entry for NOGPLPV and booted from it. I can now rdp into the
> server. Am I safe to uninstall and try installing again?

I'm out of ideas :P
Try rebooting and see if it works. If not, hopefully James Harper can help you.

Regards,

Fajar