[Xen-users] Code study. Help needed.

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Arjun \\m/" <arjunmagge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 14:58:22 +0530
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 30 May 2009 02:29:05 -0700

Hi all,
I downloaded the xen source sometime back, I'm currently trying to study the xen-3.3.1 code. I went through the User and Interface Manuals, they'v been of great help in understanding the basics, and many other documents which explain the theory behind its working, but apart from these I could not find any relevant explanation (googling) for code-study on xen.
After spending many hours on the code aimlessly, i found little success (not sure) in the task. I could not find the exact place where i needed to start looking from. I think it would be totally unnecessary to understand the entire code and so here i am with the need of some serious help.
I'm interested in finding out how xen uses virt-install to install a guest, and what does it exactly look for in the iso or the installable distribution of the guest and how it recognizes the guest and proceeds with the installation.
Apart from these i would like to study where the basic hypercalls reside(prototypes and fuctions), how and where these hypercalls from the guests are handled.
Information on the emulation part would also help me understand the working better.
Advice on where i can find the funtions which deal with above would be of great help.
I found main functions in the following files xen-3.3.1\tools\ioemu\vl.c and xen-3.3.1\tools\ioemu-qemu-xen\vl.c. As the filename indicated, i assumed that they deal with io emulation and the other with the aid of qemu emulator. What do these exactly deal with and how is the control passed to them? The increasing number of such assumtions have increased the chances of me being lost in the process.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Arjun