Re: [Xen-users] truecrypt & kernel 2.6.24

  • To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 10:44:35 +0200
  • Cc: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 01:45:15 -0700

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Now, the CentOS repositories doesn't have 2.6.24, so do I have to
>> build the kernel manually?
>
> If your Centos version is new-enough (5.3) you should be able to
> compile and use pv_ops kernel (e.g. latest 2.6.30 from kernel.org) on
> domU. You also need to have NX enabled (disabled by default on my
> BIOS) for it to work. Note that you'll be missing some of -xen kernel
> features (like CPU hotplug. see
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps)

Hi Fajar, I'm trying to access an encrypted HDD on the dom0, not in a
domU. In fact, I don't have any domU's setup on that server yet. So,
how will this work for dom0 then? I have honestly never compiled a
custom XEN kernel before, and the last time I even compiled any
kernels was on FreeBSD 4.6 & RedHat 4 - a long time ago.

> I use Lenny's linux-image-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 (converted to RPM using
> alien) on some RHEL5 domUs when I need features only available on
> newer kernel (like better fuse support). It needs some tweaking during
> installation (like creating initrd manuall), but it works fine and I
> have all -xen kernel features.
>
>> And will there be any problems when doing
>> so? I like to just run "yum update" when needed.
>
> You won't get a usable kernel update with yum (since you'd be using
> newer kernel already), but updates for other packages should continue
> to work.

Ok, but what will happen when I run yum update? Can / will it
overwrite the custom kernel, or will it give me errors?

>> Here's the output from the machine:
>>
>> Linux zaxen02.lan 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5xen #1 SMP Wed Nov 12 09:48:10 EST
>> 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> This is quite old. Centos 5.2? AFAIK support for pv_ops kernel is
> available since 5.3.

It's a CentOS 5.2 which has been updated with yum upgrade recently.
But, running yum update kernel last night gave me this kernel

> --
> Fajar

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers