Re: [Xen-users] Scheduled maintenance?

On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 06:28 -0600, Nick Couchman wrote:
> Scheduling maintenance is always a good idea, and if you have multiple
> Xen boxes that share the same storage, you should be able to
> live-migrate your domUs over to another server temporarily, then run
> updates and bounce your server, then migrate them back.  That's one of
> the really nice things about Xen - maintenance to the underlying
> physical system should be transparent.  Obviously this doesn't always
> work perfectly, but most of them time it should.
>
> I run SLES10 SP2, as well, and, although I periodically run into
> issues, they don't seem to be consistent or regular issues - I've had
> my systems up for longer than 60 days at a time and haven't had any
> issues.  I occasionally use the above method for maintaining them,
> though, so they get updated and rebooted every couple of months.
>
> -Nick

I've played with migrate a little, but I'm don't think I have enough
resources (RAM) on the other servers to be able to migrate all of them,
or even the few most important ones.

I have one server with 8GB of RAM (that's been up for 116 days)
I have two servers with 16GB and another with 32GB ïof RAM.

The latter three share an ocfs2 file system so migrating is possible, at
least for the linux pv domUs.

Thanks,
James