[Xen-users] workings of live migration

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Thomas Hofkens <thomas.hofkens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 15:28:47 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 04:11:50 -0700

Hi,

I am researching XenServer from Citrix and (with 2 colleagues)
comparing it with VMware ESX and Microsoft HyperV.

In our tests, it seems that Xen's live migration is using less
resources than VMware's ESX and I would like to know why that is. I
found an article from last year that references a paper from 2005,
explaining what actually happens with the pages during live migration.

This is an extract of that article about the memory transfer:
(source:
http://community.citrix.com/blogs/citrite/barryf/2008/02/10/Everything+You+Always+Wanted+to+Know+about+XenMotion?focusedCommentId=71697504&#comment-71697504)

>Push phase- The source VM continues running while certain pages are pushed
>across the network to the new
>destination. To ensure consistency, pages modified during this process must be
>re-sent.
>
>Stop-and-copy phase The source VM is stopped, pages are copied across to the
>destination VM, then the new VM is >started.
>
>Pull phase The new VM executes and, if it accesses a page that has not yet
>been copied, this page is faulted in
>("pulled") across the network from the source VM.

I was wondering if the memory transfer still happens in the same
fashion as it did 4 years ago.

Thank you