[Xen-users] migrating between different processors (intel/amd)

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:05:11 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 04:06:08 -0700

We are looking at buying an additional server. Our current server is AMD
based (low end - 1210 I think). The new one we have in mind can either
be Intel (quad core) or AMD (dual core). The Intel CPU with the
additional cores is probably better for performance (but more expensive
obviously), while the AMD is more compatible with what we have (1214)

I understand that migration between vastly different CPU's is not really
possible unless you disable the features on the vcpu to the lowest
common denominator (and even then?), but what about just shutting down
the domain and then starting it on the other server? Does Windows get
upset because it has a different CPU and suddenly demands to be
reactivated?

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

James