Re: [Xen-users] Gathering "metal" stats

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Tyler Szabo <tyler.szabo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The issue arises when I attempt to get IO stats â DomUs see their own âsda1â
> (or whichever) â I donât know if this means that the âsdaâ that Dom0 sees is
> the real hardware or an abstraction. The question I have is: do IO operations
> on DomUs result in IO operations on Dom0âs âsdaâ such that /proc/diskstat
> sees it? Or is that hidden from Dom0 like DomU CPU usage?

All DomU's IO passes through Dom0.  there you can measure all you want.

for disk IO, if you use phy: devices, you can use iostat to see the
usage of each device.  if you use file-based backends, it would be
easier to check the userspace daemons.  maybe iotop would help.  in
any case, if aggregate usage is all you need, just measure the disk
usage seen at Dom0

for network, if you can measure at peth0, that would give you the
aggregate usage.  if you need stats for each DomU, check the
respective tun devices.

--
Javier