[Xen-users] domU with 64-bit kernel, 32-bit userland - OK?

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Thaddeus Hogan <thaddeus@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 19:22:30 -0500 (CDT)
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 17:23:17 -0700

I've just started playing around with Xen and am probably going to P2V some servers over to it pretty soon.  One thing I just tested for the P2V was to run a restore from a current backup into a filesystem on my Xen host.  Then I just made the fstab and getty tweaks and booted the domU with the kernel on the host (vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-xen-amd64).

This sure made for an easier P2V than a re-build of the system and re-deployment of the applications and configs.  Only thing is, after I was playing around with it for awhile I realized that the server I P2Ved was 32-bit.

Everything seems to be working fine running the 64-bit xen kernel and the 32-bit userland.

The question is: It works, are there reasons I should not run it this way for the time being?

Thanks!