Re: [Xen-users] Migration by copying files/folder

howard chen wrote:

I have two physcial hosts, runnnig Xen (not sure if they are running
the same version).

Under these 2 hosts, I have 2 guests created, both are running Ubuntu
8.04 64bit.

If I rsync the following folders from one guest to another guest for
complete system migration, is it safe?

bin
etc
home
lib
root
sbin
srv
sys
usr
var

p.s. I cannot use live migration or other tools since I don't have
control to the host. I can only control the guest.

It's more or less how I do it sometimes. Personally, I copy / and exclude stuff like /dev /proc /sys etc that you don't want copied. Shutdown every service you can before copying, or for less downtime I will do one copy to get the bulk of stuff across, then shutdown services, and do another copy - the second copy takes a lot less time as it's only changed files and your (now closed) databases being copied.

It's also how I normally migrate a physical server to a VM guest.

--
Simon Hobson