[Xen-users] bridge interface with (initially) no ports

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 12:50:09 +1000
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:51:15 -0700

I use some completely virtual networks inside my DomU's. In Dom0 I want
to have the following in /etc/network/interfaces:

auto br-wan
iface br-wan inet static
 address x.y.z.254
 netmask 255.255.255.0
 bridge_maxwait 0
 bridge_ports none
up ip addr add 2002:xy:xfe:3::1/64 dev $IFACE

but of course when the br-wan interface comes up, it has no mac address
because it has no ports yet to inherit a mac address from.

I am working around it for now by using a dummy interface:

auto br-wan
iface br-wan inet static
address x.y.z.254 netmask 255.255.255.0
 bridge_maxwait 0
 bridge_ports dummy1
 bridge_hw 00:1a:4b:eb:ee:7c
 up ip addr add 2002:xy:zfe:3::1/64 dev $IFACE

but is there a better way? The dummy module in the kernel needs a
parameter passed to it to set the number of dummy interfaces, and if I
ever need to increase it I have to unload and reload it which means
downing all the bridge interfaces that use it. Not really what I want.

It's just occurred to me while writing this that I could vlan the dummy
interface and just use the one interface but still... seems a bit of a
kludge.

Thanks

James