Re: [Xen-users] Xen time drift issues

  • To: Peter Booth <peter_booth@xxxxxx>
  • From: Priya <pbhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 09:53:59 -0400
  • Cc: "bansal.tanuj83@xxxxxxxxx" <bansal.tanuj83@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 06:54:41 -0700

@tanuj: Thanks! I am not using NTP for syncing. The reason for that is
that I want to get an idea of the fidelity of the time returned by
domU and dom0 w.r.t. the actual real time. I expected to see a
difference, but what is puzzling me is that the difference increases
in such a linear fashion.

@peter: As I mentioned in my previous email, the drift is ~50
microseconds/second on domU and slightly less on dom0

I have been trying to find some documentation pertaining to how Xen
virtualizes the different hardware timers. If anyone has a link to
such a technical report, please send me a link.

Thanks!

Priya

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Peter Booth<peter_booth@xxxxxx> wrote:
> How are you measuring this drift?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jul 8, 2009, at 7:59 AM, Tanuj Bansal <bansal.tanuj83@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi Priya:
>>
>> If you are using NTP, then shutdown the NTP service on all DomU and
>> restart
>> it on Dom0 only.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Tanuj Bansal

Calvin Trillin  - "Health food makes me sick." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/calvin_trillin.html