Re: [Xen-users] Re: Install Xen on VirtualBox?

  • To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jeff Lane <dreadpiratejeff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:29:18 -0400
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:30:00 -0700

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:55, Mark Lancaster<marklanc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have done this as well, but it is somewhat limited as I don't believe you
> can pass Intel VTx/VTd cpu instructions through to a second virtual layer.
> Just a heads up.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was not able to run
> HVM guests in a hypervisor-within-hypervisor scenario.

I'll second this... I have been able to run this:

Xen Host -> HVM Guest running Xen -> PV Guest

But not HVM inside HVM.  I'd guess, and this is only a guess, that
there's a lot more than not being able to pass CPU instructions
through multiple hypervisors, but that is certainly a big deal.

I've run inside of VMWare guests as well, but only to one layer:

VMWare Host -> VMWare Guest -> Xen

Also, even when I could get this to work and actually boot, the
performance was so bad that all systems involved were pretty much
useless...

--

Milton Berle  - "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/milton_berle.html