Re: [Xen-users] Re: Unsigned GPLPV drivers

On Thu Jul 16, 2009 at 08:16:48 +0200, Klaus Steinberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ressend that, as I always forget to switch of signing my mail. The
> xen-users List don't like signed Emails.
>
>>> Only way is to use Ready Driver Plus
>>
>> Yes, I ran that once and my general feeling is that it's a very hacky
>> "solution".
> Hacky, but works. I have it running on several w2k8 vm's.
>
>> Is there any likelihood of the GPLPV drivers getting signed with a "real"
>> certificate? The Microsoft documents on driver signing are a bit vague on
>> what is actually required but it doesn't seem as if the full WHQL testing
>> needs to be done, you only need an SPC certificate from a trusted CA. For
>> example Comodo are selling code signing certs for $179 for a year.
>>
>> Could "anyone" then purchase one of these certificates and sign the GPLPV
>> drivers?
>>
> Hmm 179 Dollars would not be much, is it a one time purchase, or every
> time you sign a driver?
>
> Maybe I can arrange something.

I'm only interested to know if it is possible from a technical standpoint.
I'm sure if there was sufficient interest from the community, people could
make small donations to fund such a SPC cert for James to use with his
releases. That is to say, if any company wasn't willing to take the
initiative and purchase a cert so they could make signed GPLPV drivers
available for the community.

--
Regards,
Oliver Hookins