Re: [Xen-users] network problems

  • To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:13:30 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 01:15:14 -0700

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Mike Lovell<mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> How well maintained is Debian's 2.6.26 xen kernel? xen.org's 2.6.18
>> kernel might work better for you. Or go the other way around, using
>> latest pv_ops kernel.
>

> The Debian 2.6.26 xen kernel is one where they used the OpenSuse patches. I
> checked the changelog and it looks like the bulk of it was added in October
> '08 with a few minor changes since. I don't know how recent the patches that
> were applied at that time were.

By "how well maintained" I meant "does someone actually fix them if
there's a known bug"?
I know that Redhat fixes them (or at least try to backport fixes),
which is why I use RHEL for production servers :D

> Any pointers? Will a pv_ops dom0 work on a xen
> 3.2? or do I need something higher like 3.4 or unstable? I think I would
> rather try this route than going back to 2.6.18.

Try this
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels

> My biggest question though is why would traffic not be getting passed from
> the dom0 vif interface to the domU eth0 interface? This is the problem I am
> seeing and it seems to happen on somewhat regular intervals. Is this
> something you have seen or heard of before? I don't have specifics other
> than I know the traffic isn't getting passed cause I see the packets on the
> vif interface but not the guest network interface during tcp dumps on both.

I haven't had this problem with 2.6.18. It's either "all works well"
or traffic not going through at all (which was the case when there was
a bug in the NIC driver). There were also "eth0: received packet with
own address as source address", but nothing similar to the problem
that you mentioned.

Something to check though, are there any MAC-related message on
syslog? Is it possible that perhaps the MAC you're using is not
unique?

--
Fajar