Re: [Xen-users] VT-D RMRR is incorrect

  • To: srynoname <regtrash@xxxxxxxx>
  • From: Steve McIntosh <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:20:40 -0500
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 07:21:19 -0700

I've had the same problem trying to run VT-d on an Asus P5Q-EM DO
(Intel Q45 chipset).  Perhaps it's just best to avoid Asus hardware
when it comes to IOMMU virtualization because it appears their boards
may fail to adhere to proper Intel VT-d spec.  Fortunately I had
another motherboard lying around that I swapped it for.

I'm now successfully passing through PCI NICs and USB controllers in
Xen 3.4 on an Intel DQ35JO motherboard with the 1016 bios revision.
(The controller [00:1a.7] takes the 'guestdev=xx:yy.z
reassign_resources' kernel module flag instead of the pciback.hide
because of a memory issue.)  As a result I'm able to use a Creative
USB (Win)Modem Blaster v.92 passed through to a Windows XP HVM.

So, for now, it looks like the only VT-d options are Intel branded
boards.  Personally, I can't wait for the new AMD chipset to come out
with their own IOMMU, that should open up the playing field to more
competition.