Re: [Xen-users] Problem getting PCI devices hidden from Dom0

Hi,

 in my opinion the problem starts here

 (XEN) I/O virtualisation disabled

 1) check the bios of vt-d is enabled
 2) the grub boot sequence
 3) pciback compiled into the kernel.

 mfg,

 jeroen

James Harper wrote:
Hi All.

I have tried hiding two PCI cards from Dom0 on boot up in accordance
with the documentation.

Xen 3.3.1_18546_16-0.1 upon openSuSE-11.1 release.

Using the following /boot/grub/menu.1st directives:

title Xen -- openSUSE 11.1 - 2.6.27.25-0.1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/xen.gz
module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.25-0.1-xen
root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-1AMCC_U15626923F6A26004196-part1

resume=/dev/

disk/by-id/scsi-1AMCC_U15626923F6A26004196-part2
splash=silent showopts vga=0x317
pciback.permissive pciback.hide-(04:00.0) (06:04.0) (08:0e.0)
module /boot/initrd-2.6.27.25-0.1-xen

after booting - if I run "lspci",  Dom0 still sees the PCI devices I
am trying to hide exclusively for the use of DomU's.

Can anyone advise what may be the issue why this is not working?

I can't answer any of your questions directly, but have you tried using
the 'unbind' virtual file in /sys ?

In theory you should be able to unbind a module from the device
(therefore making it available to pass through) even if it was bound on
boot. It works great with usb but I've never tried it with pci so it may
not work... usb drivers expect to have devices taken away from them
without warning while most pci drivers don't so there may well be bugs
that prevent it from working. Also, I've never used pci passthrough so
it may be that the device needs to be hidden at a much lower level or
something.

The USB syntax is described in http://lwn.net/Articles/143397/, the PCI
syntax shouldn't be that much different - I expect that the device name
for a pci device would be something like '0000:00:0e.0'

If you do try it and it works, please post back to the list as doing it
that way might suck a lot less than having to fiddle around with boot
scripts...

James