Re: [Xen-users] Windows 2008 - slow upload

  • To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:38:22 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 08:39:02 -0700

> I'd still like to find what the root cause is (netback bug? GPLPV bug?
> Physical Ethernet device driver bug?) but I'm glad it's working for you
> now.
>
> James

James,

On my test system I also have to disable large send offload otherwise
uploads are very slow, but on my main Xen system it is enabled in all
domU's and seems to cause no problems.

I suspect there are some bugs which are triggered by interactions
between different kernel/nic driver/gplpv versions, the problems we
discussed with 2.6.30 do not go away completely after toggling receive
offload, but the errors are much less frequent and throughput is much
better.

Quite why toggling receive offload off and on again would help I don't
know, but it does.

A similar system using e1000e driver does not suffer from the same
problem, but I've tried different versions of the igb driver and they
all seem to be affected.

opensuse have selected 2.6.31 as their next official distro kernel, I
plan to rebase the patches as soon as it is available and dedicate
some time to testing and working out the networking bugs.

Andy