RE: [Xen-users] 3.4-testing : Kernel panic on bootup (mount: couldnotfind filesystem /dev/root/)

  • To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Madhu Venugopal (vmadhu)" <vmadhu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:22:48 -0700
  • Cc: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:23:39 -0700

> > Okay. How would I find what modules are missing ?
> > I don't see any such error in the bootup logs. Any other suggestions
> ?
>
> Start with the boot log. It usually shows you what block devices are
> detected, etc.
> The basic ones for domU (2.6.18 kernel) are xenblk (domU block device)
> and ext3 (or whatever file system you use). For dom0 kernel, it's
> easier to see the output of "lsmod" from your working installation.

I tried lsmod on the Base CentOS 5.3 installation and saw these :

<lsmod>
dm_raid45              66509  0
dm_message              6977  1 dm_raid45
dm_region_hash         15681  1 dm_raid45
dm_log                 14529  3 dm_mirror,dm_raid45,dm_region_hash
dm_mod                 62201  4 dm_mirror,dm_multipath,dm_raid45,dm_log
dm_mem_cache            9537  1 dm_raid45
ata_piix               23621  0
libata                156933  1 ata_piix
cciss                  63813  3
sd_mod                 25153  0
scsi_mod              141589  6 scsi_dh,sr_mod,sg,libata,cciss,sd_mod
ext3                  124233  1
jbd                    56937  1 ext3
<lsmod>

I could not see the dm_raid45, dm_region_hash in the
/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-xen/kernel
Directory. Hence I copied these from /lib/modules/2.6.18-128.el5PAE/.

After this I ran mkinitrd again. I still see the kernel panic, Also I
see a few error
message during bootup : "dm-raid45: disagrees about version of
symbol..."...

Looks like I cant just copy over the modules...

I will try your other suggestions...

-Madhu

http://bits.xensource.com/oss-xen/release/3.4.0/linux-2.6.18-xen-