Re: [Xen-users] xen rebase/master: Kernel NULL pointer dereference

AllenJB wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Playing with getting the rebase/master kernel to work on my system.
>
> I'm running Gentoo amd64 with Xen 3.4.1 installed from Gentoo packages.
> The current kernel sources were checked out at 11:57:20 31/08/09.
>
> I've never had the rebase/master kernel working, but I'm confident that
> my kernel configuration should work and have tried looking for anything
> I might have left out several times.
>
> I do have a working 2.6.18 kernel.
>
> When booting dom0, I get a panic with the message:
> BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at (null)
>
> There's also numerous warnings apparently related to APIC code.
>
> The full output is: http://allenjb.me.uk/files/lister-20090831-1446.log
>
> If I specify "noapic" to the kernel, I can get it to go a bit further,
> however it seems to fail to find the hard disks - not sure why and I
> don't know if it is directly related:
> http://allenjb.me.uk/files/lister-20090831-1446-1.log
>
> System hardware:
> http://allenjb.me.uk/files/lister-cpuinfo.txt
> http://allenjb.me.uk/files/lspci.txt
>
> Kernel configuration:
> http://allenjb.me.uk/files/config-xen-panic-20090831.txt
>
> What is the problem and how might I fix it? Is this a bug I should file
> in the xensource.com bugzilla?
>
> If there's any information that you think might help, please let me know.
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> AllenJB

As an addendum, I found out how to get the Xen hypervisor to log via the
nullmodem connection successfully too.

Output from boot without "noapic":
http://allenjb.me.uk/files/hypervisor-20090831.log

Output from boot with "noapic":
http://allenjb.me.uk/files/hypervisor-20090831-noapic.log

AllenJB

PS:
http://en.opensuse.org/How_to_Capture_Xen_Hypervisor_and_Kernel_Messages_using_a_Serial_Cable
for anyone who's interested - I found that you have to use minicom to
grab the output - can't just cat it like you can with the kernel.

Interestingly when you get the hypervisor doing logging over the
nullmodem connection, it seems to block the output from the kernel going
there. Would be nice if I could get both going at the same time.