Re: [Xen-users] Debian PV domU on Centos dom0

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Francesco Gallo<cluster@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> is there someone who could share his own expericence and best pratics to PV
> lenny in CentOS enironment?

Last time I tried using debootstrap (generally following
http://bderzhavets.wordpress.com/2009/01/07/debootstrap-intrepid-server-pv-domu-at-xen-331-centos-52-dom0-all-64-bit/,
adjusted a bit for Lenny) it doesn't go so well. Some manual
intervention required as debootstrap can't install all packages
cleanly (I think one of the packages require proc or sys to be mounted
on chroot environment). The method works great for Ubuntu though.

Another method is to create HVM domU first, and convert it to PV domU later.
Then there's also virt-install support for Debian domUs, but AFAIK
this is not available in RHEL/Centos version of virt-install yet.

Either way, I recommend to have kernel and initrd inside domU (and
loaded with pygrub) to make domU upgrades easier. I can't comment much
about performance though, as I prefer RHEL for production and use
Ubuntu/Debian for testing purposes only.

--
Fajar