Re: [Xen-users] 2.6.30

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Luca Lesinigo<lucky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Il giorno 03/set/09, alle ore 13:47, Fajar A. Nugraha ha scritto:
>>>
>>> Maybe a stupid question, but how do you get a 2.6.30 xenified kernel?
>>
>> http://x17.eu/xen/
>> http://code.google.com/p/gentoo-xen-kernel/downloads/list
>
> I'm currently on 2.6.29-gentoo-r5 for production paravirtualized x86_64
> domU. As you may guess, it's from gentoo portage
> (sys-kernel/gentoo-sources), it does have some patches above the vanilla
> kernels but I don't know if there are any specific "xenified" patch from the
> above urls. Will take a look tomorrow for sure. I'm not using that kernel
> for dom0.
>
> At least x17.eu says patches are for Dom0... what is currently the 'best'
> kernel sources/patches to use in production on x86_64 dom0 that will support
> both paravirt (64bit) and HVM (VT-x, 32bit guests) domUs? I'm clearly
> running the hypervisor in x86_64 mode, currently Xen-3.3.0.

If you ask me what the best dom0 kernel is, I'll say RHEL's kernel-xen
package. The reasoning :
- I use RHEL as dom0
- it's vendor-maintained and up-to-date on security patches. e.g.
2.6.18-128.7.1.el5xen has fix for null pointer
dereference/CVE-2009-2698.
- it has updated drivers, backported from newer kernels
- it works with newer Xen version. I'm using it with Xen 3.4.1 from
Gitco on some hosts

The downside : it's missing some newer features (e.g. scsi-passthru).
Since I don't use those features, it doesn't matter to me.

Perhaps others can give you more info on their experience with newer
dom0 kernels (pv_ops or xenified). I only use them for domUs.

--
Fajar