[Xen-users] Best practices iSCSI / redundancy

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "netz-haut - stephan seitz" <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:20:44 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 03:23:18 -0700

Hi there,

I'ld like to ask if someone has some best practices at hand for following
scenario.

We're currently running some Xen Hosts each equipped with hardware raid with 8
to 12 disks and 4 nics dedicated for iSCSI.
Currently, there's no real installation consistence. Some domUs (all PV) are
running with phy-backend over local LVM. Some others are using iSCSI where each
domU has its own LUN.

We thought about adding some redundancy by building soft raid-1 over iSCSI LUN
and local LVM. Well, this will affect fast and easy migration, but that's not a
primary topic.

We ended up with two different possible configurations:
a) Having an iSCSI LUN for each physical Server with the size of one big
physical partition. Adding LUN and physical partition into a raid-1 and putting
LVM on top of this raidset. The virtual Server would use a LV on top of this
big raid-1 PV/VG.
b) Setting a big VG on top of the physical partition, and having an iSCSI LUN
and an LV for each virtual Server. Adding each LUN and each LV into an
independent raid-1. The virtual Server would use a raid-1 MD build from one
iSCSI and one local part.

Maybe some other scenarios are also possible, any thoughts are very welcome.

Regards,

Stephan

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

--
Stephan Seitz
Senior System Administrator

*netz-haut* e.K.
multimediale kommunikation

zweierweg 22
97074 würzburg

fon: +49 931 2876247
fax: +49 931 2876248

web: http://www.netz-haut.de/

registriergericht: amtsgericht würzburg, hra 5054