Re: [Xen-users] LVM Read/Write speed <10% drive's normal speed: SOLVED

WOW. Thank you all for the overwhelming response!!! I'm going to answer you all in order of who replied first.
(NOTE: the solution is in the 2nd section. Thanks Oliver!)
-Stephen

==================================
On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 03:41 -0400, Robert Dunkley wrote:
>Hi Stephen,
>Can you please post your DomU config file to the list.
>Rob

Sure, without any of the comments, here it is (without the true names or IPs, of course):

kernel      = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-xen-686'
ramdisk     = '/boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-xen-686'
memory      = '1024'
root        = '/dev/hda2 ro'
disk        = [ 'phy:/dev/xenvg/testVM1-swap,hda1,w',
                  'phy:/dev/xenvg/testVM1-root,hda2,w', ]

name        = 'testVM1'

vif = [ 'ip=192.168.0.100' ]

on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

# Needs to be inserted to allow console to attach to VM
extra="console=hvc0 xencons=tty"

This was generated by xen-tools (after a little modification to xen-tools xm.tmpl). I like how easy xen-tools is to expand upon. For example, I used 'xen-update-image' as a model to create my own 'xen-image-cmd' which can pass a single command to multiple offline domUs. Works just like 'xen-update-image', except for the fact that you can pass ANY command that the domU can execute AND you can force the output to be redirected to a file INSIDE the chrooted image. I was sort of proud of myself for that scripting voodoo. =D

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 03:45 -0400, Olivier B. wrote:
>Hi,

>what mount options do you use on the DomU ?
>Under Debian there is xen-tools example with the "sync" mount options :
>if you use it, writes will be really slow.

>Olivier

THIS is where the money is. Once I removed the 'sync' option from the fstab for my root partition, the I/O speed sailed. Makes sense, really. This got the VM's performance to actually BEAT the old bare metal machine that we were running this server on before.
Thanks for your help!