Re: [Xen-users] Always losing the console output after "Scrubbing free RAM"

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Martin Cracauer <cracauer@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [no more problems, I just want to put this into the mail archive in
> case people come across the same problem]

Glad to hear you got it working.

> I'm all up and running fine having restarted from a fresh Debian 4.0
> Etch.
>
> Trying to isolate the failure, replacing Etch parts (hypervisor,
> kernel) with Debian 5.02 Lenny parts fails.  Using the 3.4 Hypervisor
> from Lenny comes up with Dom0 but xend fails and no DomUs come up.

Isn't Xen 3.4 and 2.6.30 kernel only available in sid, not Lenny?
Anyway, the part where xend failed is probably due to mismatch between
hypervisor - userland tools. Although you can (usually) mix-and-match
dom0 kernel (at least on linux anyway), hypervisor and userland (xend,
xm, etc.) version must match.

> Parts used now:
> - Debian 4.0r8-amd64 install disk
> - xen-hypervisor-3.0.3-1-amd64

That one's kinda old, so if you have some time and need newer versions
you might want to try compiling xen 3.4.1 (at least the hypervisor and
userland part) yourself.

> - linux-image-2.6.18-6-xen-amd64
> - linux-modules-2.6.18-6-xen-amd64

Although 2.6.18 is old, depending on your needs this might suit you
better. So if it works for your hardware I suggest stick with 2.6.18
(either form Etch, or compile yourself from xen.org's kernel).

--
Fajar