RE: [Xen-users] Pass through multiple USB Devices

  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 14:15:44 +1000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 21:16:29 -0700

> So, now that I've determined that PCI pass-through requires VTd, I'm
looking
> into USB pass-through to get serial ports from my dom0 to my HVM
domUs.  My
> first question is this: has there been any progress made in the
current stable
> versions of Xen on passing through multiple USB devices?  How about
the
> unstable versions?  Since my domUs will be Windows-based, it's
annoying to
> have to give up the absolute mouse point support (usbdevice=tablet)
just so I
> can forward a USB device through.  Furthermore, if I have multiple
USB-to-
> Serial devices attached to my dom0 that I need passed through to my
domU, can
> I do that?
>
> I've also seen a couple of posts that allude to some sort of patch for
the Xen
> code that enables multiple USB pass through - can anyone confirm this
and
> point me in the right direction?

Noboru Iwamatsu has developed the frontend and backed drivers for Linux.
Last I heard he would be submitting some updates shortly.

I have implemented the frontend driver in GPLPV, but have only tested a
USB memory stick in it. Other devices that use INTERRUPT or ISOC
transfers almost certainly won't yet work, but probably won't be too
hard to fix.

James