[Xen-users] Hints on Balancing of a System with many HVM DomUs

Hi,

I am currently doing a performance test of HVM DomUs (32bit Linux) on a 64bit Dom0. All DomUs use a qcow2 backing file and two ethernet devices. When I now stress the I/O for those DomUs I see the processor load in Dom0 increase heavily, ultimately causing in the DomUs to be almost unusable. Looking into Dom0, the qemu-dm processes consume lots of CPU resources. This behaviour is what I expect - without stub domains, I expect Dom0 to be overly utilized, compared to a single DomU.

However, this scenario is without any balancing at all. All DomUs get 1 VCPU, Dom0 is only limited by memory usage.

Therefore, I would like to kindly ask users here if there exist something like a recommendation for this usage scenario, e.g. pinning physical CPUs to Dom0, modifying the amount of CPU time for Dom0, ...

What's your opinion here?

Regards,
Martin