Re: [Xen-users] config.sxp pain - auto start?

Wow, thats a great idea.

I never even thought of shutting that stuff down.

Do you keep libvirt off and remove the bridge permanently?

You mind posting some example configs?

I realize they are only a few lines long and I have a few to base others on but I am curious.

This seems like a cool way of doing it.

- Brian

On Oct 9, 2009, at 12:33 PM, Grant McWilliams wrote:

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 12:22 PM, James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 11:37 -0700, Brian Krusic wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In the older format using Xen 3.0.3 (domains created via xm), I simply
> created a sym link from /etc/xen/domU config file to /etc/xen/auto.
>
> I am now using virt-install (Xen 3.4.1) which creates the domU config
> in /var/lib/xend/domains/UUID_#_of_domU/config.sxp.
>
> So I sym link this to a file in /etc/xen/auto/hostname_of_domU and
> noticed that no auto starting of the domU happens.
>
> I've looked in both my Xen books and only find that /etc/xen/auto is
> the place to auto start domUs.
>
> Any ideas on how to auto start gracefully while not writing a script
> in /etc/rc3.d every time a new domU comes on line?
>
> And why are xm create and virt-install so diff in how they approach
> domU configs?  This is confusing.
>
> - Brian

I've read through this thread. Is there a consensus here? When I first
started on xen it used the files in /etc/xen/vm for configs, and to
autostart on boot you would put a softlink under /etc/xen/auto.

Should I be doing this a different way?

Thanks,
James
ps- sorry this got so long....

You know I could be wrong on this but I think the config.sxp way has to do with
libvirt. Virt-install and virsh manage libvirt domains I believe. The first thing I do
to a Xen Dom0 is shutdown libvirtd or delete the bridge that it creates so I can manage
everything I do myself. This also means I create /etc/xen/config files from template.

Grant