RE: [Xen-users] ip which is already being used can be taken bywindowsvps

  • To: "Nathan Eisenberg" <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:48:10 +1100
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 00:49:03 -0700

> > Some suggestions:
> >
> > 1. Make sure that anything that ever wants to talk to 1.1.1.1 uses
SSL
> > so that it can never be impersonated. Make sure that you pay
attention
> > if your ssh client ever complains that the key has changed.
> > 2. Put each VM on a /30 network and route everything to it. It might
be
> > a pain to maintain but it greatly reduces the attack surface.
> > 3. Use iptables to filter that port to make sure the source IP
address
> > is correct (remember to allow for DHCP queries if you use that -
they
> > will appear to come from 0.0.0.0 I think).
> > 4. Install arpwatch (I think that's what it's called) that can
notify
> > if
> > the relationship between a mac address and an IP address changes
> >
> > James
> >

> If you're going to do #2, you may as well use /31s and save 2 IPs per
host.

I'm sure I read somewhere, once upon a time, that Windows just didn't
work with a /31. Could have been on the OpenVPN mailing list or docs
that I read it. I could also have imagined it :)

If you are using public IP addresses then by all means, try and use as
few as possible. If you are using private addresses though, I don't
think it's worth the fuss.

James