Re: [Xen-users] Recommendation for traffic shaping

Paras pradhan <pradhanparas@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I have a centos 5.3 server connected to fibre based SAN with 4Gbps
> HBA. Xen domUs are installed in the SAN disks.
>
> This server is connected to my datacenter using 1Gig Ethernet. I will
> be having say around 10 domUs in this server and one of them might be
> consuming a lot of traffic. So to avoid traffic congestion problem,
> where do I shape/cap the bandwidth for this particular domU? Inside
> domU or in dom0's bridge interface? which tools are better? tc. cbq ,
> htb or any others?

We do it on the Dom0.

Here's something Chris wrote up about it when I had the same problem:

http://wiki.xen.prgmr.com/xenophilia/2008/06/traffic-shaping-with-tc-and-xe.html

http://wiki.xen.prgmr.com/xenophilia/2008/06/traffic-shaping-yet-again.html

This was from back when I was trying to give people 'first month free'
(don't do that.)   so I had some crazy users.  But it's useful 'cause
you can limit users who are over their allocation to 128K or something
that doesn't cost you money, and you look like a really nice guy compared
to just shutting them off.

(I think we cleaned this up and put it in chapt. 7 of the book of xen.)

--
Luke S. Crawford
http://prgmr.com/xen/         -   Hosting for the technically adept