Re: [Xen-users] LVM over Xen + Network

  • To: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: rajan chandi <chandi.rajan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:50:05 -0400
  • Cc: Stephen Ross <stephen.ross1986@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:07:52 -0700

Thanks Javier for setup ideas.

We are using ServerLoft Dedicated hosting.
So, don't have much control over what can be done from a hardware perspective.
Their servers are good and cheap.

Only problem is that they don't support anything above 500 GBx2 with RAID 1.

We are trying to figure a work-around to use the storage across the servers more efficiently.

Is there a possibility to use LVM2 with some kind of NFS/GFS?

Regards
Rajan

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 8:14 AM, rajan chandi <chandi.rajan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Very interesting. I was hoping that LVM2 could work with drives attached
> with other computers on the network.

it can, if those other computers share their drives.

you can run an iSCSI target, NBD server, or vblade on each machine;
then join'em all with cLVM.  not for the faint of heart, though, and
redundancy isn't easy either.

DRBD is a slightly different configuration where you definitely get
some failure protection; but it's typically limited to just 2 nodes.
if you need more than that, you end layering both solutions.  again,
totally doable; but you have to design the solution yourself.

--
Javier